The Digital Innovation Hub (DIH) Andalucía Agrotech is an ecosystem created to help companies in the digitisation process of the agri-food sector. This hub gathers the needs of the agri-food sector, technological services provided by ICT companies, the innovation capacity of knowledge agents and public programmes promoted by the public administration to provide support. The DIH Andalucía Agrotech has been designed to be an instrument to speed-up the implementation of digitization in the agri-food value chain and to provide, in the first phase, the necessary training.
The DIH Andalucía Agrotech is a centre of activity to create, anticipate and channel digital innovation in the agri-food sector, that provides the best conditions to enable sector companies achieve business success in the long-term. It is:
• an ecosystem. The Hub has to be understood as a connector and facilitator of all the actors involved in agro-technology. It is the place where the experience and know-how of farmers, livestock producers or agro-industrial experts converge with the innovative talent of technological entrepreneurs, all together with the support of the public sector, as well as with partners and stakeholders of technological and agri-food areas.
• a one-stop shop. The Hub has to act as a pool of people, resources and tools (financing, talent, processes, methodologies, knowledge, employment, alliances, etc.), that is to say, it has to be the contact point for all the companies, people and actors related to the agri-food sector and to the implementation of digital technologies in this sector.
• based on Competence Centres. They offer technological infrastructures, provide access to the latest knowledge, experiences and technologies to support their customers with pilot, test or experimental projects using digital innovations.
• a provider of financial or business support to implement innovations.
• a platform. It will be a physical and digital platform that will enable the effective collaboration between the actors of the Hub and will make resources available to them according to the working models established.
• the first regional contact point. Proximity is key to strengthen the innovation ecosystem.
• a regional and international benchmark hub in the field of agro-technology. Bearing in mind the global environment currently existing, the DIH has to have a double scope: on the one hand, it must be centred on the digitization of the agri-food businesses of Andalusia and, on the other hand, it must work to connect them to other businesses at national and European levels; it must promote the cooperation of actors at regional level, but it must also be a point to generate alliances between our regional initiatives and others beyond our regional borders.
• a driver of change. Boosting the digitisation of the agri-food sector is a fundamental task, but not an end in itself. It is a powerful way to not only achieve the competitive improvement of the sector but also to obtain positive social and environmental impacts.
The Digital Innovation Hub (DIH) Andalucía Agrotech is an ecosystem created to help companies in the digitisation process of the agri-food sector with a non-profit character. This hub gathers the needs of the agri-food sector, technological services provided by ICT companies, the innovation capacity of knowledge agents and public programmes promoted by the public administration to provide support. The DIH Andalucía Agrotech has been designed to be an instrument to speed-up the implementation of digitisation in the agri-food value chain and to provide, in the first phase, the necessary training.
This DIH Andalucía Agrotech is a centre of activity to create, anticipate and channel digital innovation in the agri-food sector, that provides the best conditions to enable sector companies achieve business success in the long-term.
We can conclude in this respect that this DIH Andalucía Agrotech is a non-profit ecosystem with non-profit aims.
El Hub de Innovación Digital Andalucía Agrotech es un ecosistema para acompañar en el proceso de digitalización del sector agroalimentario donde conviven las necesidades del sector agroalimentario, los servicios tecnológicos de las empresas TIC , la capacidad de innovación de los agentes de conocimiento y los programas públicos de apoyo desde la Administración. Queremos que el DIH Andalucía Agrotech sea un instrumento para acelerar la implantación de la digitalización en la cadena de valor agroalimentaria y abordar en una primera fase de capacitación totalmente necesaria.
El DIH Andalucía Agrotech es un centro de actividad para crear, anticipar y canalizar la innovación digital en el sector agroalimentario, que proporciona las mejores condiciones para conseguir el éxito empresarial de las empresas del sector a largo plazo. Podemos decir que es:
- Un ecosistema. El Hub ha de entenderse como un conector y facilitador de todos los agentes involucrados en la agrotecnología. Es el lugar donde converge la experiencia y know-how de un agricultor, ganadero o agroindustrial, con el talento innovador de un emprendedor tecnológico, con el respaldo del sector público, así como socios (partners) y de grupos de interés (stakeholders) de los ámbitos, tanto tecnológico, como agroalimentario.
- Una ventanilla única. El Hub ha de actuar como un aglutinador de personas, recursos y herramientas (financiación, talento, procesos, metodología, conocimiento, empleo, alianzas, etc.), es decir, debe ser el punto de contacto de todas las empresas, personas y agentes relacionados con la agroalimentación y con la de tecnologías digitales en este sector. implantación en este sector de tecnologías digitales.
- Basado en centros de competencia. Estos ofrecen infraestructura tecnológica, proporcionan acceso a los últimos conocimientos, experiencias y tecnología para apoyar a sus clientes con pilotos, pruebas o experimentación con las innovaciones digitales.
- Apoyo financiero o de negocio, para implementar las innovaciones.
- Una plataforma. Es una plataforma física y digital que habilita la colaboración efectiva entre los actores del Hub y pone a su disposición los mencionados recursos, acorde a los modelos de actuación establecidos.
- Un primer punto de contacto regional. La proximidad es la clave para fortalecer el ecosistema de innovación.
- Referente a nivel regional e internacional. Teniendo en cuenta el entorno global en el que nos encontramos, el DIH ha de tener un doble alcance: por un lado, centrado en la digitalización de los negocios agroalimentarios de la comunidad andaluza y, por otro lado, trabajar en la conexión nacional y europea de estos negocios; fomenta la cooperación de agentes a nivel regional, pero siendo también el punto de generación de alianzas de iniciativas regionales con el exterior.
- Una palanca de cambio. El impulso de la digitalización del sector agroalimentario es una labor fundamental, pero no es un fin en sí mismo, sino que es un potente medio para lograr, no sólo la mejora competitiva empresarial del sector, sino también para conseguir un impacto positivo social y medioambiental.
Link to national or regional initiatives for digitising industry
First of all, it is important to explain that the S3P Agrifood Thematic Partnership on Traceability and Big Data in the agrifood value chain is a strategic alliance of regions and other entities that work together with the aim of contribute to the digitisation of the agrifood value chain through the adoption of digital technologies and the value creation from data.
It is coordinated and lead by the Regional Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Rural Development of the Junta de Andalucía (Spain) and co-lead by Emilia Romagna Region (Italy).
The Partnership, created in 2016, is formed by 20 European regions that contribute with the Partnership with their regional ecosystems (nodes) to promote, motivate and facilitate the incorporation of digital technologies in the agrifood sector value chains for going forward in the digital economy. These nodes, formed by the quadruple helix: companies, competence centres, public administrations, etc. are adopting the form of regional DIHs.
It is important to mention that this Partnership on T&BD, constituted under the Smart Specialization Strategy (RIS3) framework coordinated by the DG Regio (JRC), has provide an opportune framework for preparing to Andalucía as Region towards a step further in their process towards the creation of this DIH Andalucía Agrotech, due to the previous experience of creating regional nodes.
Thus, it is a fact that this DIH Andalucía Agrotech is part of policy initiatives at all levels since is aligned with the RIS3 policies, with the innovation and research European policies – Digitising European Industry Initiative as key element of the Digital Single Market strategy, with the innovation and research national policies – such as Connected Industry 4.0 in Spain -, and with the regional priorities established in the Smart Specialisation Strategies of Andalucía.
Finally, it should be highlighted that the Regional Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Rural Development of the Junta de Andalucía is directly involved in this hub and has played a key role in the establishment of this DIH, that support the digital transformation of the agrifood sector in Andalucía.
Please see below some of the EU funded projects and initiatives where this ecosystem has taken part in:
·The ecosystem is under construction. It aims at creating synergies between public institutions, knowledge agents, civil society, business and farmers in order to fully benefit from digitisation to make the agri-food value chain more transparent and facilitate decision making.
- To provide agri-food companies with a tool to identify the life cycle of the products they produce and how to send this information throughout the production chain·
- Life cycles in the agri-food chain·
- Digitisation is part of the identified needs to reach the goal ·
- Customers are agri-food companies and consumers
Service: ecosystem development
It has been created the DIH Andalucía Agrotech which is composed of more than 100 members, up to this date. The multi-actor approach that underpins this Hub includes members of the quadruple helix model of innovation: Government, Academia, Industry and civil participants.
- client organisation: the whole agri-food value chain, including Technological companies , Agri-food companies, Competence Centres, Civil society, Knowledge agents, Governments, Financial institutions, Suppliers or related companies, talent and entrepreneurship, Start-ups and ICT companies.
- client needs:
It was necessary for all actors involve in the agri-food value chain to have a place where companies –especially SMEs, startups and mid-caps– could get help to improve their business, production processes, products and services by means of digital innovations.
- provided solution:
The provided solutions are the following:
• Improving the competitiveness of the Andalusian agri-food sector by using digital technologies to update products, improve processes and adapt business models.
• Becoming a benchmark Hub in the agro-technological sector in order to promote Andalusia and also have positive national and international impacts.
• Connecting all the resources of the sector in the same platform, whether they are the result of the research or solutions developed by private companies. It will also gather public support, such as subsidies, and training resources; etc.
• Promoting valuable cooperation between the actors involved in the ecosystem, thus stimulating the financial, knowledge and networking support needed to implement these innovations in the whole agri-food value chain.
- client organisation: A TIC company with the collaboration of a University.
- client needs: the clients intended to find the best solution for the monitoring and management of extensive livestock through devices adapted to the different types of extensive farming.
The problem to be solved was that the extensive regime livestock live in remote areas of difficult access. This fact makes difficult the watching, monitoring and following up. Therefore, it is necessary to have a monitoring system that allows to determine the location of the animals in real time and obtain information.
- provided solution: For this challenge, the TIC company has developed a monitoring system using ""FIWARE-Ready IoT device"" collars, with multiple sensors and low power wide area (LPWA), and other low-cost and short-range devices who communicate with the collars. This solution will be integrated with the SIGPAC system of the Junta de Andalucía. In addition, it will load and display information from the Sentinel satellites and it will use Big Data algorithms for the detection of anomalies, births, jealousy, predators attack, etc.
Service: business development
- client organisation: Several companies and organisations belong to DIH Andalucía AgroTech (representing the different type of actors of the quadruple helix).
- client needs:
It was detected the need to improve the traceability of the products and strengthen the final stages of the agri-food value chain and with aimed to empower farmers and consumers. Also, it was considered the need of generation of models with machine learning (Big Data) to support the improvement of decision making process.
- provided solution: The provided solution was a direct communication platform between producers and consumers for the agri-food sector. This, in real time, will help consumers and distribution companies to access to a wide detail of agrifood product information: origin, production process, traceability, promotional information, videos, and whatever the producer wish to show to their customers.
This platform offers its service so that producers can communicate, receive information and also market their branded products through an application of accessible technology. In addition, it will be developed a large observatory to carry out studies about consumer trends – BigData tool, to improve the management of the producers’ decision making.
- A sensors company to collect information about environmental conditions of crop growth and transmits information through ICTs·
- To set-up production models for decision-making·
- Digitization is necessary to produce models·
- Customers are the producers