Inter-territorial Working Group on Transformative Innovation for Climate Resilience
30 Jun 2023 to 30 Jun 2023
The PRI Pilot initiative on Transformative Innovation for Climate Resilience engages the Partnerships for Regional Innovation’ territories with a commitment to systemic transformation in response to the climate challenge, and in particular, those that are at the same time signatories of the Climate Adaptation Mission Charter. The WG offers to the participants the platform to share experiences, learn from each other, and contribute to the co-creation of shared strategic insights and of regional innovation partnerships, together with the JRC that facilitates this Working Group in collaboration with DG CLIMA and EIT Climate-KIC.
The Inter-territorial Working Group (WG) on Transformative Innovation for Climate Resilience was set-up in early 2023 and had its kick-off meeting on 9 March 2023.
Its main objectives are:
(1) Identifying barriers, good practices and opportunities for implementing Climate Adaptation solutions with support of Smart Specialisation Strategies, ERDF and other relevant funds.
(2) Supporting selected territories in aligning their cohesion policies with transformative innovation actions for climate adaptation and resilience.
(3) Enhancing inter-territorial collaboration and partnerships on transformative innovation between participating territories based on common interests related to climate adaptation and resilience.
(4) Providing strategic learning on how best to align cohesion policy with transformative innovation actions towards climate resilience, focusing on (i) governance structures (whole-of-government and multi-level governance), (ii) finance instruments, and (iii) inter-territorial collaboration.
Objectives of the meeting
This second online WG meeting will address the first results of analytical work underpinning the Working Group, discuss the continuation of the Work Programme for the rest of 2023, and pursue some areas of common interest for collaboration between territories, aiming to optimise the use of existing EU instruments in linking climate adaptation to innovation, and discuss practical and feasible actions of direct use to the participating territories committed to the Mission on Adaptation to Climate Change. Apart from short presentations of the WGs updated Work Programme and presentations of collaboration instruments supporting climate adaptation and innovation, the bulk of the event will be devoted to the group discussions in the three break-out sessions on collaboration between territories in specific areas in the topics of:
- Collaboration in climate resilience for food security and agriculture
- Collaboration in climate resilience on other priorities and
- Self-assessment tool for whole-of-governance linking climate adaptation activities with the transformative innovation.