The Working Group "H2020 for RIS3" aims to optimise the use of Horizon 2020 (and Horizon Europe) in S3 implementation by building capabilities across three broad dimensions:
- Improving the R&I system through improved international positioning;
- Integrating multi-level governance perspectives in S3 implementation;
- Designing and piloting capacity building activities.
The working group is foreseen to convene twice a year until the end of phase IV. ESIF Managing Authorities and RIS3 managing agencies wishing to participate can contact JRC-B3-S2E@ec.europa.eu
- Development of pilot training for optimising the use of H2020 for RIS3 implementation.
- Testing of the pilot training in an initial workshop (February 15th 2018), exploring the potential interest of ESIF Managing Authorities and RIS3 managing agencies, and identifying first needs of Managing Authorities.
- As participants showed a clear preference for mutual learning events and testing new approaches, the pilot training was converted into a Working Group on the same topic. In the proceedings of the February workshop, a modus operandi of the working group was identified.
- On June 13th 2018 the first meeting of the Working Group 'H2020 for RIS3' took place, presenting the findings of the 1st workshop, generating further knowledge through expert presentations, roundtable discussions and identifying further needs as well as potential activities to be carried out to address them.
- An August 2018 report summarising the activities and proposes topics for the Working Group for the period 2018-2020.
- The working group serves not only as a mutual learning group, but also as test bed to pilot new activities in the territories of its members, the results of which are subsequently discussed in the Working Group.
It also acts as an evaluation mechanism when the activities are completed.
The following areas of interest were identified as pilots:
1 Supporting mechanisms for capacity building in framework programme participation;
2 Research and innovation Public Private Partnerships (PPPs) for RIS3 implementation;
3 National Contact Points and their role in H2020 for RIS3;
4 Transnational networking in RIS3 implementation;
5 Efficient utilisation of research and technology infrastructures within the context of RIS3.
- There is high need for targeted support for national and regional ESIF Managing Authorities and RIS3 managers to help optimise the use of H2020 for RIS3
- A Working Group appeared to be the preferred option for MSs and regions. Members will be able to co-design activities that better adapt to the needs of public authorities, pilot and test them, and share experiences with peers. Activities aim to build capacities to improve excellence of territorial R&I systems.
- The Working Group is complementary to other initiatives, such as the Mutual Learning Exercise on Widening and Synergies, the Policy Support Facility, and the targeted support under Lagging Regions. The Lagging Regions project targets regions defined by low R&D intensity and low capacities to capture H2020 funding, whereas this Working Group targets regions with a higher R&I intensity combined with a higher ESIF dependence and lower capacities to capture H2020 funding.
- Needs identified include: support for support programmes and international networking; multi-level RIS3 coordination/governance and synergies; call design and implementation; networking & learning platform/tools; regulatory issues.
- Issues of relevance to the group to consider further include:
- Regional RIS3 Contact Points;
- Governance for synergies;
- Support mechanisms (grant for grant, skills for research and innovation managers, multi-support skills for NCPs);
- Transnational networking;
- Public private partnerships and private investment in RIS3 priorities;
- Efficient use of research infrastructures;
- Ways to diffuse excellence;
- Ways to address competition between funds;
- An overarching body for management of the regional innovation system;
- Ways to address cultural inhibitors to foster a culture of collaboration;
- International cooperation (beyond EU);
- Capacity building and knowledge management.
- Working Group "H2020 for RIS3" (Internal report)