- (i) developing and exploiting the synergies between European Structural and Investment Funds (ESIF), Horizon 2020 (H2020) and other EU funding programmes;
- (ii) Assisting them in closing the innovation gap, in order to promote excellence in all regions and EU countries;
- (ii) Stimulating the effective implementation of national and regional Smart Specialisation Strategies.
Stairway to Excellence
The "STAIRWAY TO EXCELLENCE” (S2E) project was launched in 2014 as a European Parliament pilot project executed by DG-JRC together with DG-REGIO, and was implemented until 2020 as part of the JRC's Smart Specialisation targeted support activities.
Stairway to Excellence
Phases I and II
Selected achievements, events or publications during phases I and II:
- Overall description of phases I and II
- National events
- Country & Region Information
- Funding synergies examples
- Lessons from S2E phases I and II
Selected achievements, events or publications during phases III and IV:
- Overall description of phases III and IV
- Mobilising ESIF and H2020 to support innovation in less developed regions
- Governance of universities and their involvement in S3
- Smarter Europe – Smarter Funding?
- Funding scenarios for effective S3 implementation
- Working Group "H2020 for RIS3 "
- Multi-level S3 governance and synergies
- Collaboration between Managing Authorities and Joint Undertakings
- International project development lab s
- EIT KICs in a RIS3 context
The S3 Platform seeks to collect information from all stakeholders involved in S3 related activities about emerging initiatives that respond to the COVID-19 pandemic as well as redeployment/reorganisation of activities that foster recovery processes.
Share your views on the 12 proposed institutionalised partnerships under Horizon Europe, the next EU research and innovation programme (2021-2027) until the 6th of November 2019.
The consultation on the “Orientations towards the Implementation Strategy of the research and Innovation framework programme Horizon Europe” is open until the 4th of October 2019.
Synergies in Practice: Perspectives on Collaboration in the Upcoming Funding Period 2021-2027
Smart grids in the new programming period: the role of transnational R&I networks to strengthen smart energy
The report invites policy makers to address the questions about the ‘why’ (is the intervention addressing a problem?), the ‘who’ (what is the target of the intervention?), and the ‘how’ (do I have financial and administrative resources?). Starting from a pre-existing Smart Specialisation...
- Doussineau M., Saublens C., Harrap N
This report investigates in particular the motivations and practices for strengthening collaborations between Joint Undertakings (JUs) (focusing on non-territorial innovation) and national and regional ESI Funds’ managing authorities (focusing on territorial innovation) and offers guidance to...
- HAEGEMAN, KAREL; ARREGUI PABOLLET, ESKARNE; HARRAP, NICHOLAS; HORBACZEWSKA, KAROLINA; TORRECILLAS CARO, MARIA CRISTINA; VALERO BONED, SUSANA
The current report proposes an analytical framework for university governance allowing the comparison and benchmarking of governance systems across EU member states, which could serve as guidance for university managers and policy makers to design the institutional incentives and funding...
- Arregui-Pabollet, Eskarne; Doussineau, Mathieu; Dettenhofer, Markus