Croatian S3 provides a framework to foster innovation through for instance, developing research and innovation infrastructure and collaboration between business and research institutions. Croatia is considered as moderate innovator (IUS: Innovation Union Scoreboard) and the S3 mainly targets the economic part of the three core elements and thematic areas of specific interest to the Croatian economy. Two important objectives are to foster knowledge and innovation capacities in the areas of greatest potential for competitiveness and socio-economic development and to transform Croatian economy through effective research, development and innovation activities.
To reach these objective, Croatia has taken steps towards a transformation policy approach, which focuses on sustainable development in different dimensions: green transport, sustainable production and processing of food and wood, renewable energies, clean technologies and bio-products, health and quality of life and security. Through the promotion of RDI investment in selected priority areas, with a high innovation and growth potential, as well as large societal impact, Croatia aims at structural changes (transition, modernization, diversification and radical foundation of economic activity) and new directions for future development and growth.
The vision and broad objectives have been detailed in six specific strategic objectives that will direct policy initiatives and actions towards fostering smart, inclusive and sustainable growth in Croatia:
- Increased capacities to perform excellent research and serve the needs of the economy,
- Overcoming the fragmentation of innovation value chain and the gap between research and business sector,
- Modernising and diversifying Croatian economy through increasing private R&D and non R&D investment,
- Upgrading in global value chain and promoting internationalization of Croatian enterprises,
- Working in partnerships to address societal challenges,
- Creating smart skills - upgrading the qualifications of existing and new work force for Smart Specialisation.
Main SDGs in the Smart Specialisation Strategy of Croatia
- SDG 9. Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure