Catalonia’s RIS3 (RIS3CAT) is based on 3 vectors that should enable Catalonia to tackle successfully the great social and economic challenges of the 21st century. These are industrial tradition, quality of life and green economy or circular economy, strongly connected with SDGs. Catalonia’s RIS 3 is not only about traditional or technological R&I. Current societal and regional challenges
such as increasing global competition, population ageing, climate change and pressure on resources,immigratio, require new collective responses through social innovation. Governments alone cannot provide the solutions that society is asking. Changes in behaviour and new forms of collaboration among public administrations, companies, R&I agents and civil society are required to develop more efficient answers to societal challenges.
RIS3CAT combine traditional instruments of support to R&I with new ones, which can be considered as pilot actions:
- The PECT, the territorial smart specialisation projects allow municipalities and local administrations to explore and test new forms of collaboration with other local stakeholders to codesign and implement more efficient solutions addressing local challenges.
- RIS3CAT communities allow companies and R&I stakeholders to define R&I agendas addressing sectoral challenges.
- The Catlabs program, focused on collaborative open social innovation is focused on methodology: what role should labs (fablabs, living labs or others) play in the new paradigm of open science and innovation? And addressing social challenges?
- The innovation public procurement program as an instrument to tackle societal challenges in more effective ways. The huge potential of innovation public procurement to tackle societal challenges has to be explore yet.
Since RIS3CAT promotes pilot actions is very important to have a monitoring system supporting learning. RIS3 monitoring must be participative and dynamic to support the entrepreneurial discovery process and to allow the design and implementation of more efficient public policies addressing societal challenges.
The RIS3CAT monitoring system document describes the main features of this dynamic and participatory monitoring, which should contribute to the analysis of how European funds contribute to the societal challenges in Catalonia (SDGs).
The Catalan Government has developed a specific tool, the RIS3-MCAT platform, to map the contribution of EU funds to the smart specialisation process in Catalonia. RIS3-MCAT was presented in late 2018 and during the present year is evolving in several lines. To support the definition of a challenge-oriented RIS3CAT in next programming period (2021-2027), EU-funded projects
integrated in the platform will be automatically classified into the SDGs, using machine learning techniques with the aims to analyse how stakeholders of the Catalan innovation ecosystem contribute to SDGs through projects and initiatives financed by EU funds. We are currently working on visually mapping the keywords within SDGs according to importance and co-occurrence.
The RIS3-MCAT platform is a relevant tool for supporting next-period decision-making at the RIS3CAT governance level and bottom-up workshops with Catalan stakeholders contributing to the SDGs or SDG targets, to define common agendas with a systemic approach.
The Catalan governement is working on the strategy for the the next programming period 2021-2027 currently. The RIS3 will be will more focused on societal challenges.
Apart from RISCAT, on 14th February 2017, the Catalan Government officially decided to design an overall strategy for the implementation of the 2030 Agenda in Catalonia and established the institutional architecture to make this strategy possible:
- Inter-ministerial Commission: composed by the secretary generals of all departments and chaired by the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Institutional Relations and Transparency. The aim of the bodyis to coordinate elaboration of the National Plan to ensure consistency and monitor compliance with the 17 SDGS in the Agenda and to approve the final Plan proposal to be delivered to the Government.
- Technical Committee: composed by all departments (represented by director generals and/or chiefs of their technical offices) and charged of developing the National Plan for the implementation of the 2030 Agenda.
The Advisory Council for the Sustainable Development of Catalonia (CADS) assists the Inter-ministerial Commission and the Technical Committee.
There is a clear intersection between Agenda 2030 and RIS3CAT, since the RIS3CAT instruments (competitive calls) and projects promoted by the Catalan Government are/will be included in the Government's Agenda 2030.
The RISCAT is aligned with the following SDGs:
- SDG 3. Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages.
- SDG 6. Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all.
- SDG 7. Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all.
- SDG 8. Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all.
- SDG 9. Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation.
- SDG 11. Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable.
- SDG 12. Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns.
- SDG 13. Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts.
- SDG 14. Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development.