- Stocktaking and assessment of state of RIS3 implementation in the selected territories
- Specific support activities - Undertaken in each of the selected regions, these centre on stakeholder events focused on catalysing and sustaining the Entrepreneurial Discovery Process, mutual learning activities, as well as targeted support for RIS3 implementation, such as appropriate instruments, funding opportunities and tools and approaches for monitoring and evaluation implementation. Work also has a focus on linkages between national, regional and sub-regional RIS3.
- Horizontal support and peer learning - addressing key common issues with wider relevance, including RIS3 governance, monitoring, industrial transition and transnational collaboration.
- Analysis, tool development and policy recommendations – the outcomes of both specific, as well as more horizontal support activities, provide the basis both for further policy support and the refinement and adaptation of methodological approaches for wider application.
The impacts of this work and the lessons emerging are highly relevant not only for stakeholders in the region, but for those in other lagging regions across the EU as well as for policy makers at EU level.
Conducted in collaboration with DG REGIO, this project implements a series of preparatory actions of the European Parliament. These include:
- Support for growth and governance in lagging regions - Building on the REMTh approach, this activity goes further in providing appropriate and specific support for activities in the selected regions and in developing a more cross-cutting approach to key issues regarding growth and governance in such regions, including: governance, human resources and mobility, transnational cooperation and refinement of the RIS3 model.
- The economic competitive advantages and the potential for smart specialisation at regional level in Romania – Also building on the REMTh approach to provide targeted support in RIS3 refinement and implementation, this activity aims to ensure a coherent, coordinated and sustainable approach, to secure, develop and enhance engagement of relevant stakeholders in Romania, including the linkages between the regional and national RIS3s. This activity initially focused on two regions (North East and North West) and is now being expanded to all Romanian regions.