Algarve Smart Destination, Digital Innovation Hub
You need an EU Login account for request proposals for editions or creations of new hubs. If you already have an ECAS account, you don't have to create a new EU Login account.
In EU Login, your credentials and personal data remain unchanged. You can still access the same services and applications as before. You just need to use your e-mail address for logging in.
If you don't have an EU Login account please use the following link. you can create one by clicking on the Create an account hyperlink.
If you already have a user account for EU Login please login via https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/cas/login
Algarve STP (System and Technology Partnership)
Universidade do Algarve, Campus de Gambelas, Pavilhão B1, 8005-139, Faro (Portugal)
Algarve Smart Destination (ASD), Digital Innovation Hub (DIH) is as an informal network of private and public institutions focalized in digitalization of economy in the territory, mainly in turism sector, led by the Algarve Systems and Technological Partnership Association (Algarve STP), a non for profit association that incorporates the University of Algarve, the National Association of Young Entrepreneurial (ANJE) and three Municipalities of the Algarve region, namely Loulé, Faro, Olhão and a private association of IT companies, Algarve Evolution
ASD incorporates the Division of Entrepreneurship and Technology Transfer (CRIA) of the University of Algarve, as an experienced entity in assisting SMEs, entrepreneurs and research centers, scouting and fostering research and development, and implementing innovation. Moreover, CRIA manages an early-stage innovation incubator, aiming to foster startups and spinoffs and support the implementation of applied R&D projects by industry partners. Moreover, CRIA integrates an Intellectual Property Rights (IPRs), assisting researchers, entrepreneurs, startups and SME’s in protecting and transfer knowledge to the market. In the scope of the digitization process, the University of Algarve, CRIA plays a relevant role in providing training courses and services to support the transition to the digital economy.
Altis is a technological company with large expertise in the field of communication and digitalization, especially trough Altice Labs. The company is an important player, at a national and international level, that reinforces the activity of the Algarve Smart Destination HUB, as well as the innovation and networking potential
Fraunhofer Portugal contributes significantly with expertise in the digitation process and in applied research with companies.
The ASD focuses on linking research institutions, industrial and technological centers, industrial associations, incubators, science and technology parks, industrial companies, technology companies, training institutions, and government agencies.
More specifically, ASD aims to create linkages, namely:
- Between technological providers and technological needs of tourism and smart destination and cities;
- Supporting SME’s in the digitalization process;
- Improving the use of the technological solution for problem-solving in tourism and smart destination and cities;
- Attract innovative and technological providers in the territory, mainly for the tourism sector and management for a smart destination using ICT and process digitalization;
- To create a favorable environment for technological development and experimentation;
- Develop IA and deep learning applied in the tourism sectors and in digital marketing applications
Predictive analysis and deep learning to understanding the tourism industry and IoT process automatization to foster an efficient Smart Destination Management are some of the paths to follow
Link to national or regional initiatives for digitising industry
Market and Services
- Agriculture, hunting and forestry
- Hotels and restaurants
- Transport, storage and communication
- Real estate, renting and business activities
- Public administration and defence
- Health and social work
- Other community, social and personal service activities (media, entertainment, etc.)
- Manufacture of food products, beverages and tobacco
- Manufacture of electrical and optical equipment
- TRL1 - Basic principles observed and reported
- TRL2 - Technology concept and/or application formulated
- TRL3 - Analytical and experimental critical function and/or characteristic proof of concept
- TRL4 - Component and/or breadboard validation in laboratory environment
- TRL5 - Component and/or breadboard validation in relevant environment
- TRL6 - System/subsystem model or prototype demonstration in a relevant environment
- Awareness creation
- Ecosystem building, scouting, brokerage, networking
- Visioning and Strategy Development for Businesses
- Collaborative Researchs
- Concept validation and prototyping
- Testing and validation
- Commercial infrastructure
- Incubator/accelerator support
- Market intelligence
- Access to Funding and Investor Readiness Services
- Education and skills development
SMART REVENUE MANAGEMENT
- Client profile: Visual Forma - Tecnologias de Informação, SA
- Client Need: ICT in Tourism
- Provided Solution to meet the needs
Within the project, the company developed a support algorithm for hotel management, offering multidimensional analysis that takes into account the simultaneous use of various scientific models and Semantic Web analysis, for the purpose of setting prices and forecasting occupancy for hotels and similar types of lodging. This will allow an innovative tool to be made available at global level, providing the market with the possibility of systematic monitoring of the dynamics of supply and demand, with a view to maximize revenue from rooms, through efficient price setting.
The R&D consortium is composed by the University of Algarve, responsible for the scientific and technological component, and Visualforma, which handled the technological developments, enabling the progress able to be applied in the global marketplace.
As such, the research/project focused on two main areas:
- Research and development of algorithms that will make it possible to search for, extract, normalize, store and model the data needed for the Semantic Web study and characterization, that could have an influence, not only on searches for the hotel itself, but also for a specific region. The information needed for "Dynamic Price Management" varies from site to site and sometimes even within a site itself. Examples of this could be: "Establishment's overall level of satisfaction" or "Collating of comments synthesized in keywords";
- Research and development of mathematical tools, in particular that will enable the simultaneous use of various models for forecasting occupancy and optimizing accommodation prices.
We believe that the availability of a product of this nature to a segment of hotels that does not currently have resources to apply RM models in the traditional manner, will allow them to become more competitive, resulting in a significantly more dynamic segment.
Contact: Claudio Martins, Diretor Comercial, firstname.lastname@example.orgMore details: https://www.visualforma.pt/pt/Default.aspx
S-GREEN – Integrated Intelligent System for Irrigation Management in real time
- Client profile: Itelmatis Lda
- Client Need: Agriculture 4.0
- Provided Solution to meet the needs
ITELMATIS developed, in a joint R&D venture with the University of Algarve, a hardware and software solution for the development of an Integrated Intelligent System for Irrigation Management in real time, particularly directed to the management of golf courses.
As main innovative outputs, we can highlight that the system automatically adjusts its performance according with the weather, but also due to technical constraints identified through the collection and issuance of actual data (not estimated), collected and processed in real time. For example, if a pumping unit fails during the irrigation, or if it starts to rain, the system adapts itself automatically.
The final product is an intelligent system, able to make a permanent reading of the surrounding golf course, producing a response in light of that interpretation, acting more like rational human action and less mechanized.
In synthesis, the solution will revolutionize the way the service is developed, no longer based on estimates and historical statistics to spend to be managed according to collected data and processed in real time, reducing margins error, operating costs and, ultimately, getting the management of water resources better.
Contact: Adelino Venturinha, email@example.comMore details: http://www.itelmatis.com/
- Client profile: SPIC Solutions
- Client Need: New ICT solutions in the marketing sector
- Provided Solution to meet the needs
Global markets communication are increasingly demanding. Creativity in design, marketing and advertising, by itself is not enough to make a company grow, especially for companies that focus on the international markets. Aware of the changing trends, SPIC has started to lead its activity to services related to the new digital media. In the scope of its research activities in the area of human interaction technology, sensed the market trends for access to a diversified holographic experiences in a different market segment with potential for commercialization in different geographic markets.
The product developed is a hologram of a person in a real size, which aims to be a receptionist or a public relations in a company or an event that interact dynamically in office information requested by the user and the physical space where it is integrated using guidance counselor and useful source of information.
The product is divided into two parts which are closely linked: (a) PRHolo, frame-shaped "box" containing inside a holographic character, which is displayed on a 2D plane suggesting volume. The second module, (b) PRHolo360, the contents to be released are the same, but in this particular case the holographic projection is made on a cylindrical shape providing a holographic projection format 360 (3D), allowing users to view the character from any angle, equating it really a real human figure. Both modules are equipped with a volumetric (s) sensor(s) in order to detect the users movement and internet connection, allowing tablet or smartsphone interaction
Contact: Paulo Bica, CEO, firstname.lastname@example.orgMore details: https://www.spic.pt/
Networked organization, without formal structure
Number of employees
- Horizon 2020
- European Regional Development Fund
- National basic research funding
- National specific innovation funding
Number of customers annually
Type of customers
- Start-up companies
- SMEs (<250 employees)
- Research organisations
Research & Technology organization
- Micro and nano electronics, smart system integration
- Sensors, actuators, MEMS, NEMS, RF
- Cyber physical systems (e.g. embedded systems)
- Internet of Things (e.g. connected devices, sensors and actuators networks)
- Artificial Intelligence and cognitive systems
- Interaction technologies (e.g. human-machine Interaction, motion recognition and language technologies)
- Data mining, big data, database management
- Augmented and virtual reality, visualization
- Simulation and modelling
- Software as a service and service architectures
- Cloud computing
- ICT management, logistics and business systems
- Internet services (e.g. web development, web production, design, networking, and e-commerce)