Workshop: "Insights on assessing the Smart Specialisation experience so far"
11 Jun 2018 - 11 May 2018S3 GuidanceImplementation
Organised by the S3 Platform, this event gathered a small group of experienced practitioners that provided insightful feedback of their experience of S3 implementation to date and reflected together on better RIS3 design for the upcoming programming period.
1) An overview of strengths & weaknesses witnessed so far, as well as threats and opportunities that may be emerging, based on the experience accumulated so far with the S3 process;
2) Lessons learned by regions and main pitfalls observed for each of the six steps described in the Research and Innovation Strategies for Smart Specialisation (RIS3) guide;
3) Recommendations for a continuous improvement of the RIS3 with a view to better designing the strategies after 2020;
4) Capacity (e.g. in terms of human resources) needed to successfully design and implement a RIS3.
Agenda and Presentations
9:00 - 9:15
Welcome and registration (welcome coffee)
9:15 - 9:30
Opening by Alessandro Rainoldi, Head of the Territorial Development Unit within the Directorate General Joint Research Centre
Peter Berkowitz, Head of Unit for Smart and Sustainable Growth within the Directorate General for Regional and Urban Policy
Anna Sobczak, Cluster and emergency industries, DG GROW
Foreword by Dimitrios Kyriakou and Caroline Cohen, Members of the S3 Platform
Presentation by 3 experts (20 minutes each), followed by a question and answer session (30 minutes):
- Kristiina Jokelainen, Director, International relations and S3 Implementations for Lapland region, Finland,
together with Kaarina Mäcklin, Senior expert, EU relations