What is Stairway to Excellence
The "Cohesion Policy and the synergies with the research and development funds: the STAIRWAY TO EXCELLENCE (S2E)" project was launched in 2014 within the Smart Specialisation Platform (S3P).
The Stairway to Excellence (S2E) project aims to support EU13 member states and their regions in developing and exploiting the synergies between European Structural and Investment Funds (ESIF), Horizon 2020 (H2020) and other EU funding programmes and:
- Assist them in closing the innovation gap, in order to promote excellence in all regions and EU countries;
- Stimulate the early and effective implementation of national and regional Smart Specialisation Strategies.
- Ease understanding of national and regional innovation ecosystems
- Raise awareness to enable synergies between EU funding programmes
- Share experiences in combining Structural Funds and Framework Programme to improve excellence
- Draw lessons for the future and identify follow-up actions to enhance potential synergies
Country & Region Information
Quantitative and Qualitative information are produced for EU13 member states and their regions:
- National and Regional Fact & Figures aim to draw the European profile of a country/ region with statistical and financial information coming from the EU's 7th Framework Programme and Structural Funds dedicated to research and innovation.
- S2E Country Reports provide further analysis on selected policy issues that affect optimal use and the combination of key EU funds for R&I and offer country-tailored policy suggestions aiming to tackle the weaknesses identified in the analysis.
Synergies examples are provided in which SF/ ESIF and FP7/ H2020 funds have been combined in order to amplify the R&I investments and their impact, using different forms of innovation and competitiveness support, or carrying innovative ideas further along the innovation cycle or value chain to bring them to the market.
Instruments, Platforms & Concepts
Fiches are being made available on a selection of European instruments/ platforms/ concepts that can be considered as facilitators especially for "downstream activities", to exploit and diffuse results from earlier programming period (FP7) and current one (H2020), and as key elements in monitoring the implementation of synergies in their various forms.
Relevant Initiatives, Projects and Platforms
Beyond the Reference Documents (below) and Related Links (left), there are a number of Relevant Initiatives, Projects and Platforms for Cohesion Policy and the synergies with the research and development funds.
We gather Related Documents relevant to Cohesion Policy and the synergies with the research and development funds, including guidance for Policy-Makers, Implementing Bodies and Beneficiaries of EU Funds and instruments issued by the European Commission or other bodies.
Synergies between EU R&I Funding Programmes. Proceedings from the Launching Event of the Stairway to Excellence Project
12/2014 Susana Elena Perez, Andrea Conte, Nicholas Harrap
18/2016 Elisabetta Marinelli, Susana Elena-Perez, Josep Alias
External dimesions of smart specialisations: Opportunities and challenges for trans-regional and transnational cooperation in EU13
09/2015 Slavo Radosevic and Katerina Ciampi Stancova
Enabling synergies between European structural and Investment Funds, Horizon 2020 and other research, innovation and competitiveness-related Union programmes
EU Funds working together for jobs and growth: Synergies between the R&I Framework Programmes and the European Structural & Investment Funds
Directorate-General for Research and Innovation
European Structural and Investment Funds and European Fund for Strategic Investments complementarities: Ensuring coordination, synergies and complementarity
European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT)