The Smart Specialisation Platform of the European Commission's Joint Research Centre and DG REGIO are jointly organising a launching event of the Stairway to Excellence Project (S2E).
Building excellence in a given area of research and innovation often takes years if not decades of sustained efforts. The development of good national/regional research and innovation strategies for smart specialisation (RIS3) leads regions from targeted EU countries to identify a limited number of research areas and industrial activities with high innovation potential – to be reinforced and developed using European Structural and Investment Funds (ESIF) and thus becoming more excellent and competitive in Horizon2020 calls. Supporting synergies between the two funding sources will deliver additional gains in terms of innovation results, close the innovation gap in Europe and promote economic growth.
The "Stairway to Excellence" European Pilot Project is centred on:
- Providing assistance to countries that joined the European Union since 2004 with the aim of closing the innovation gap, promoting excellence in all regions and EU countries;
- Stimulating the early and effective implementation of national and regional Smart Specialisation Strategies.
Objectives of the Conference
The principal objectives of this conference are:
- To launch the project and explain its rationale, objectives and roadmap.
- To raise awareness of the actions needed to enable synergies between different EU funding programmes for research and innovation
- To share experiences in combining Structural Funds and Framework Programme to improve excellence in R&I systems
- Draw lessons for the future
Who should attend?
- National and regional managing authorities both from EU countries and regions very successful in the past Framework Programmes and from the countries targeted by the project
- National contact points both from countries and regions very successful in the past Framework Programmes and from the countries targeted by the project
- National and regional authorities in charge of Smart specialisation strategies from the countries targeted by the project
- Members of the Horizon 2020 programme committee
Agenda: Final agenda can be accessed here
Call for Expression of interest and template: can be accessed here
Date: 2-3 October 2014
Venue: Prague (Czech Republic), Corinthia Hotel
The conference will take place at the Corinthia Hotel in Prague. The hotel has generously offered a special rate for a certain number of rooms for the conference participants. Book your room directly with the Hotel using the following link: Room reservation
Please note that while participation in this conference is free of charge, participants will be responsible for their own travel and accommodation costs.
Registration: Registration closed on 15 September. Please should you have any question on the Conference contact Susana.ELENA-PEREZ@ec.europa.eu and Sylvie.FOUCAULT@ec.europa.eu. Thank you very much.