The area concerns the implementation of synergies in new 3DP value chains across regions based on smart specialisations of the regions. The key objective is to identify opportunities for joint-demonstration between regions, based on a solid mapping exercise and the detected complementarities between existing demonstration facilities and company needs. The proposed area, which is one of Vanguard Initiative's Pilot Projects, targets the accelerated deployment of new 3DP applications. The focus lies on applications at post-prototyping level (> TRL5).
Among the most innovative manufacturing solutions of the last decade, additive manufacturing (AM) technologies have been identified as one of the most promising production technologies at global level. They are considered to empower the transition from mass production to mass customization in several leading sectors. AM Technologies are mainly concerned with “High performance manufacturing” and were identified as a segment with “particular high growth potential” and a global market volume of 2.2 billion dollars in 2012 that is expected to grow to 11 billion dollars in 2021. The potential for Smart production and efficient processes opens new perspectives, which has very often be associated to a possible new “Industrial Revolution”.
AM Technologies correspond to relative high levels of technology maturity or even market maturity already: some applications have reached TRL 9 and are broadly deployed, but many more are at post-prototyping level and should be fully deployed soon, i.e. in a time window of 3 to 5 years.
List of Regions involved
List of Projects under development
As it currently stands, there are 8 cases for joint-demonstration identified in the Vanguard “3D Printing” Pilot Project. Each one of them has a dedicated democase leader who has produced a concept note on the case, and that is now further shaping the collaboration with other regions interested in the democase:
- Automotive 1 – Hybrid Materials for Lightweight, Structural Components (metal-CFRP) (lead: Emilia-Romagna)
- Automotive 2 – Functionnaly Graded Components (metal, non-critical) (lead: Aragon)
- Machinery & Tooling – Structural Parts with Complex Shapes (lead: Wallonia)
- AM-Subtractive Platform – 3D additive subtractive transversal pilot line concept (lead: Flanders)
- Creative Industries – 3DPrinted wearables, lighting and decoration, fashion (lead: Catalonia)
- Textiles – Adding a dimension to 2D textiles (lead: Lombardy)
- 3DP Smart Bike – Open source platform for customize bike and accessories (lead: Flanders)
- Healthcare – Customized ortheses and exoprosthesis components (lead: Emilia-Romagna).
Contact details of the Leading Regions
Wim de Kinderen, Brainport Eindhoven-South Netherlands / The Netherlands, Project Manager at Brainport Eindhoven EU Office
Phone: +31 6 119 03 228
Pedro Rocha, Norte / Portugal
Barbara Cattoor, Flanders / Belgium