SC Meeting, September 2018, Virtual Meeting, tbc
SC Meeting, November 2018, Virtual Meeting, tbc
Final ESM Event, 13 December 2018, Brussels, Belgium
A key sub-area proposed for cooperation in the framework of Industrial Modernisation Platform is Advanced Manufacturing. The Specific topic is “EFFICIENT AND SUSTAINABLE MANUFACTURING” (ESM), pilot born in the framework of the Vanguard Initiative and promoted by Lombardy and Catalonia.
The focus is on technologies, methods and tools aimed at:
- Increasing throughput, quality, environmental and social sustainability of manufacturing activities while reducing costs;
- Reducing energy, emissions, resources and materials consumption,
- Increasing the inclusion of humans in the factories Vision: Manufacturing should become efficient and sustainable to enable European reindustrialization and to preserve environment and planet’s resources. Manufacturing efficiency and sustainability are two challenges to be addressed in a synergic way and systemic view.
Main objective: Transferring to industry innovative solutions coming from research and exploiting the potential of smart specialization in order to promote new efficient and high value-added supply chains.
The idea is to conceive and develop a European network of infrastructure and pilot plants in key-manufacturing areas, where companies can test innovative solutions before the industrial uptake.
Potential Impact: By exploiting and valorizing available research results, ESM European pilot plants have the potential to support companies’ innovation in breakthrough technologies and applications that require manufacturing efficiency and sustainability.
This approach will increase the competitiveness and the development of European value chains, exploiting synergies and complementarities of different regional specialization.
The ESM Vanguard pilot is aimed at overcoming the barriers limiting innovation and the transfer of research results to industry in Europe, through the development of an European synergic network of pilot plants accessible to companies in a logic of Smart Specialization. Each Region will develop and operate pilot plant nodes coherent to regional industry and competences, offering to European companies a “one stop shop” for the industrial uptake of new technologies and innovative business model.
List of Regions involved
List of thematic areas for investment projects under development
- De- and remanufacturing (Lombardy)
- Smart and adaptive manufacturing (Lombardy, South Netherlands)
- Advanced sustainable surface and coating manufacturing technologies on polymer materials (Catalonia)
- Digital and virtual factory (Lombardy, South Netherlands, Tampere)
- Energy-flexible and resource-efficient factory operation (Saxony, Norte)
Contact details of the Leading Regions
Giacomo Copani Lombardy, Italy, AFIL - Intelligent Factory Lombardy Cluster (Technical Coordinator) - firstname.lastname@example.org
Joan Guash Catalonia, Spain, EURECAT (Technical Coordinator) - email@example.com
Further support from Lombardy region:
Roberta Curiazzi, Lombardy, Italy, AFIL - Intelligent Factory Lombardy Cluster - firstname.lastname@example.org