Monitoring report covering the period from January to June 2018
Monitoring report covering the period from July to December 2018
Joint meeting of the working groups, June 2019
Workshop dedicated to one of the key topics, May 2019, place tbc
The focus area of this thematic partnership is the Chemical Industry and its related industries. The main objective is the modernization of the chemical industry to a sustainable, energy- and resource efficient sector that is globally competitive and that provides innovative solutions.
Formed under the European Chemical Regions Network (ECRN), this thematic area partnership has been developed on the ground of the inter-regional collaboration. ECRN is a network of regional authorities across Europe where chemical industry plays a key role for regional economic growth. The network has more than 10 years of experience in connecting chemical regions and their stakeholders across borders.
This thematic area is focused on new technologies, production methods, smart materials and business models aimed at:
- Sustainable production based on renewable raw materials and clean energy (decarbonised fossil energy and solar- and wind power) that contributes to environmental protection goals,
- Reduction of greenhouse gas emissions (mainly CO2) and energy and resources consumption in chemical plants,
- Promotion of new high value-added value chains and their integration across regional borders and across sectors, such as logistics, agriculture, forestry, energy, etc., in a way that complementarities of regional specializations are utilized,
- Support to close-to-the-market products, scale-ups, pilot and demo plants.
These sub-objectives shall be reached by improving cooperation and the business case for investment, together with combined public and private funding.
Technological developments to be sought relate to the production of:
- Circular and Biobased Materials
- Renewable\Biobased chemical building blocks
- New high-added value biobased molecules from lignin
- Bio-based fertilizers
- High performance materials
- Key enabling technologies
ECRN supports the Smart Specialization Platform for Industrial Modernization and manages this thematic area, by bringing its expertise in smart specialization, partnership building and stakeholder involvement.
List of Regions involved
List of preliminary thematic areas for investment projects
- Advanced Packaging, promising lower power consumption
- Bio-pharmaceuticals and synthetic biology, connecting life sciences and chemical industry
- Environmental Industries (waste treatment and recycling, sludge recovery, etc.)
Contact details of the Leading Regions
- ECRN Secreteriat: Neli Georgieva, ECRN Network and Policy coordinator, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ECRN Presidency, Lombardy region: email@example.com
- ECRN Vice-Presidency, Limburg region: firstname.lastname@example.org