S3P Peer-Review Workshop for National RIS3 in Portoroz (SI)
The themes of this workshop were:
- Entrepreneurial Discovery and Prioritisation Process in Development of the national RIS3.
- Smart Policy Mix for the RIS3.
- Monitoring of the RIS3 process and strategy adaptation along with the new challenges.
Around 75 participants from 16 EU Member States were representing critical friends in the peer-review process - 10 countries were represented at the national level (beside CY, HR and SI also BG, HU, IE, MT, PL, RO and UK) and 6 EU countries were represented at the regional level (AT, BE, DE, DK, ES and IT).
EU countries face a number of challenges for implementing and governing their smart specialisation strategies. In the S3 process, entrepreneurial actors play the leading role in discovering promising areas of future specialisation. One implication for policy makers is that this requires policy tools to collect the "entrepreneurial knowledge" embedded in the country to transform it into policy priorities. Prioritisation process is often very challenging as besides setting the RIS3 priorities it unmistakenly deprioritise some others. Moreover, the increasingly local and global combination and interaction of cross-sectoral and cross-border activities require adaptation of strategies with the new challenges for which a smart policy mix combining synergies across policy instruments is of the utmost importance to ensure the effectiveness of the process.
Topics for discussion
This peer review aimed at discussing key elements and challenges in the S3 implementation phase. The discussion themes included:
- What are the implications of Smart Specialisation for national authorities?
- How to develop a smart mix of policy instruments for S3?
- Which factors may influence the policy-mix development? (e.g. governance structures, capabilities, types of innovation actors, transnational co-operation, etc.).
- How to support priorities and objectives through policy action?
- How to deal with the challenges of the monitoring of the RIS3 process and strategy adaptation?
Agenda and Presentations
Day 01: 15 May 2013 - Panel session (Moderated by Alessandro Rainoldi, S3 Platform)
- The Smart Specialisation Concept in the National RIS3 (Dominique Foray, Ecole Politechnique Federale de Lausanne, CDM, CH)
- Entrepreneurial Discovery and Prioritisation Process in Development of the regional/national RIS3 (Tommy H. Søltoft Henriksen, Director, Regional Development, Nordjylland Denmark Region, DK)
- Smart Specialisation and Entrepreneurial Search (Adrian Healy, Cardiff University & FP7 "SmartSpec" Project, UK)
Introduction to mutual learning (Ruslan Rakhmatullin, S3Platform)
Day 2: 16 May 2014 Panel session (Moderated by Ales Gnamus, S3 Platform)
- Practical information regarding the current state-of-play on Ex-ante Conditionality Assessment and FAQs regarding the Action Plans (Tereza Krausova, DG REGIO)
- Smart Governance and Policy Mix for the RIS3 (Bernard De Potter, Agentschap Ondernemen, Flanders, BE)
- Monitoring of the RIS3 Process and Strategy Adaptation along with the New Challenges (Irma Priedl, Amt der NÖ Landesregierung, AT)
- RIS3, from Strategic Orientations towards Policy Implementation: The Challenges (Claire Nauwelaers, STI Policy Expert, BE)