Peer Review workshop for National RIS3 in Riga (LV)
25 Feb 2014 - 26 Feb 2014
S3 PlatformS3 Communities
Policy Mix and S3 implementation
EU countries face a number of challenges when implementing and governing their smart specialisation strategies. In the S3 process, entrepreneurial actors play the leading role in discovering promising areas of future specialisation. One implication for policy makers is that this requires policy tools to collect the "entrepreneurial knowledge" embedded in the country to transform it into policy priorities. Moreover, the increasingly local and global combination and interaction of cross-sectoral and cross-border activities requires a policy mix that combine synergies across policy instruments to ensure its effectiveness.
Topics for discussion
This peer review aims at discussing key elements and challenges in the S3 implementation phase. Proposed themes for discussion include:
• How to take regional specificities into account in the national strategies?
• How to develop a smart mix of policy instruments for S3?
• What factors may influence the policy-mix development? (e.g. governance structures, capabilities, types of innovation actors, transnational co-operation?).
• How to support priorities and objectives through policy action?
• How to identify relevant policy measures for ICT driven innovation?
Peer reviewed countries: Czech Republic, England, Estonia and Latvia.
Agenda and Presentations
Welcome by the S3 Platform and Riga
Ministry of Education and Science of Latvia by State Secretary, Mrs. Sanda Liepina
Minister of Education and Science of Latvia by Adviser, Mr. Indrikis Muiznieks
S3 Platform, IPTS by Head of Unit, Mr. Xabier Goenaga
DG Regio by Policy officer, Ms. Tereza Krausova: Presentation
Plenary session: Implementation and Policy Mix
Claire Nauwelaers, STI Policy Expert: Presentation