Launching event study: Smart Specialisation in Latin America
The objective of this event was twofold: first, it allowed presenting the main findings of the research study: "Innovation and regional specialisation in Latin America" which has been conducted to analyse how policy makers and other territorial actors in Mexico, Colombia, Peru, Brazil, Chile and Argentina are designing and implementing the Smart Specialisation concept. Second, it served as an opportunity to establish active synergies between practitioners of smart specialisation in the European Union and Latin America based on the three cooperation cases showcased over the event.
The event took place on 15th March and was organised on the occasion of the EU-CELAC Joint Initiative for Research and Innovation, Senior Officials Meeting (JIRI SOM), in Brussels the day before.
Agenda and Presentations
- Smart Specialisation Beyond EU, Javier Gómez Prieto, Scientific Officer, DG JRC.
- Key findings of the study: Innovation and regional specialisation in Latin America, Jaime del Castillo, Department of Applied Economics, Basque Country University
- Cooperation case on energy: Basque country (Spain) and Bogotá (Colombia), Jose Ignacio Hormaeche, Director – Energy Cluster, Basque Country, Spain
- Cooperation case on bio-economy: Ostrobothnia region (Finland) and Aysen region (Chile), Jerker Johnson, International Coordinator, Regional Council Ostrobothnia, Finland
- Cooperation case between Oporto region (Portugal) and Pernambuco state (Brazil), Lucia Melo, Secretary for Science, Technology and Innovation, Pernambuco, Brazil